Monday, February 20, 2012

Chianti Classico Collection 2012


Today for my Wine Marketing class, our teacher Enrico took us to the presentation of the new Chianti Classico Collection. It was a type of wine expo held in Florence in the Stazione Leopolda (an old converted train station, Dad you would have loved it!) where all of the vineyards in the region of Chianti Classico present their new vintages. All of the Chianti Classico wines are labeled DOCG (Denominazione di origine controlatta e garantita), which is the highest production standard for Italian wine. Today’s event was reserved for trade professionals and not open to the public, but Enrico was able to score us a meeting with the few English-speaking marketers. For a five-euro deposit we received wine glasses stamped with a black rooster, the traditional symbol of Chianti Classico and goofy little wine glass totes to wear around our necks. If I wasn’t a starving college kid I might have kept the wine glass and tote as a souvenir. We tasted four different varieties of 2009 Chianti Classico from the regions of San Casciano Val di Pesa, Radda and Gaiole. Most of the wines are made using the Tuscan sangiovese grape. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s all I drink these days but I think I’m becoming partial to it.

Aside from the wine, what struck me about the event was the juxtaposition of the tradition of wine making presented in an old Florentine train station with the hip décor that looked more like it belonged in New York City. At the end of the lines of busy tables packed with vintners and marketers were brightly colored, plush chairs arranged in little clusters with colorful lighting. Various signs displayed logos of the event comprised of colorful wine bottles arranged in different shapes. I’m not quite sure if I’m cool enough to work in this industry, but I have to say I wouldn’t mind attending many more events like this in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment