Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spring Break 2012: Dublin

This is extremely late but I cannot not write a blog post about the motherland. After a slightly disappointing visit to the big city of Barcelona, I was thrilled to have chosen Dublin over Paris as our next destination. As soon as I stepped off the bus into Dublin city I was smiling. Despite the typical overcast and chilly Irish weather, Dublin felt like home. I hadn’t realized how much I missed the English language which was only made better by the fantastic Irish accents. Already exhausted from the first leg of our not so restful spring break, the next few days were a pleasant blur of accents, pubs, and delicious food. I tried fish and chips for the first time, as well as traditional Irish breakfast. I also had a delicious steak and Guinness pie covered in puff pastry at a restaurant in Temple Bar called the Shack. Oh the Guinness! I was never a fan before but I made sure to have at least a pint a day and after touring the Guinness factory I’m definitely more inclined to choose it over a Natty light. One day we took a free walking tour organized by our hostel. It was an excellent tour led by an aspiring actor, Paul, who humorously acted out just about every important event in Irish history and from whom we learned our favorite catch phrases of the semester “happy days” and “that’s class”. My number one favorite part of Dublin, however was the live Irish music in every pub. Although, regrettably, I never got up and step-danced (I’ll save that for next trip), the familiar sound and songs made me feel just as at home as if I was sitting around with the Davitt clan. 
On the Ha'Penny Bridge

For Dad: "Look at those stripes!" at Trinity College

Guinness Factory

No comments:

Post a Comment